Spring / Summer 2019
- Spring Flowers & Easter Decorations: Thursday 18th April
- Decorating for Summer Entertaining: Thursday 23rd May
- Summer Roses: Thursday 20th June
- A Day of Summer Flowers: Thursday 26th July
Join our in-house floral designer Iona Murray this spring / summer for a day and learn how beautifully she brings the outside in and creates simple effective floral designs naturally. Iona will demonstrate her style of flower arranging and create seasonal displays for table centres, posies and larger displays of country house flowers as well as other seasonal floral decorations.
Your day will begin with tea or coffee and scones on arrival in the conservatory, followed by a walk about the grounds and gardens of Ballymaloe (subject to the weather conditions - please bring appropriate outdoor clothing and footwear). Iona will talk about the seasonal plantings and the planning that provides an abundance of flowers for her to use in the house and bedrooms annually and seasonally. Back in the conservatory at Ballymaloe House, Iona will demonstrate and share her floral design tips before and after lunch together. Iona will share her expertise on the types of flowers and foilage at this time of year and the techniques she uses, choice of vase selection and proportions, use of colour and structure of the arrangements and suitability of location for the arrangements in the house.
Questions, guest discussion and sharing of ideas welcomed and encouraged.
Arrive 09.30am - day ends around 5pm
Course includes morning coffee, lunch and tuition.
€120 per person (special bed and breakfast rate also available - call 021 465 2531 to book)
Details of upcoming Spring / Summer Courses:
- Spring Flowers & Easter Decorations: Thurs 18th April
- With the return of spring, it is also marks the return of colour and vibrancy to the Ballymaloe gardens, they are flourishing with spring bulbs which were planted in the autumn, and the long established spring flowering shrubs will be bursting into bloom, which gives us lots of material to work with for creating seasonal displays in the house for Easter by creating spring flower tables centres and bouquets, Easter baskets for the easter egg hunt on easter Sunday, as well as other traditional Easter decorations such as an Easter tree, Easter gardens, Easter egg decorations & other seasonal crafts.
- Decorating for Summer Entertaining: Thurs 23rd May
A day for planning for Summer table centres and show pieces, if you are looking forward to the summer and planning on hosting a seasonal gathering over this summer this is a lovely way to see how we decorate our tables for the many special events we host in the house over the summer from alfresco diners, special family celebrations and intimate weddings.
- Summer Roses: Thurs 20th June
A Ballymaloe favourite, we will be looking at how to pick, plant and care for our ever growing collection of favourite varieties of roses and summer companion flowers, I will be demonstrating all types of seasonal arrangements exploring and foraging Ballymaloe's gardens and woods for material.
- A Day of Summer Flowers: Thurs 26th July
As the summer season reaches its hight and the Ballymaloe gardens are at their most abundant and productive, at this time seasonal arrangements become their most elaborate and also their most fun to create, from adorable posies to stunning centre pieces the choice is almost unlimited with lots of colour and luscious greenery. The gardens are our key for inspiring show stopping displays