- 4 Portions of Mussels (12-15 each)
- 3cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely grated
- 1 Large Shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1.5cm piece fresh turmeric, peeled and finely grated
- ½-1 red Chili, thinly sliced
- 1 tin of full-fat Coconut Milk
- ½ same tin of vegetable stock or water
- 1/2 Lime (juiced)
- 1-2 Tablespoons Vietnamese Fish Sauce
Wash the mussels and remove their beards. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
Gently sauté the shallot, garlic and ginger until they are translucent.
Add the turmeric and stir for 1 minute to blend all the flavours together.
Add the chilli, coconut milk & stock or water.
Simmer for 5 minutes.
Add lime, fish sauce and a sprinkle of sugar to taste for the last minute.
In another saucepan, gently cook the mussels with 1 ladle of broth per person with the lid on.
You can stir them around until they are all open. Discard any that haven’t opened. Ladle into warm bowls and sprinkle with chopped coriander & extra lime
Copyright:: Dervilla @Ballymaloe June 2020