- 45g (1 1/2oz/scant 1/2 stick) butter
- 150g (5oz) peeled and chopped potatoes
- 110g (4oz) peeled and chopped onion
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 900ml (1 1/2 pint/3 3/4 cups) water or home-made chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 300ml (10fl ozs/1 1/4 cups) creamy milk
- 150g (5oz) chopped wild garlic leaves
- Wild garlic flowers.
Melt the butter in heavy bottomed saucepan, when it foams, add the potatoes and onions and toss them until well coated. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cover and sweat on a gentle heat for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile prepare the wild garlic leaves. When the vegetables are almost soft but not coloured add the stock and milk, bring to the boil and cook until the potatoes and onions are fully cooked. Add the wild garlic and boil with the lid off for 4-5 minutes with the lid off approximately until the wild garlic is cooked. Do not overcook or the soup will lose its fresh green colour. Puree the soup in a liquidiser or food processor. Taste and correct seasoning. Serve sprinkled with a few wild garlic flowers.
Copyright Darina Allen, Ballymaloe Cookery School